SENSORY PLAY WITH SLIME, GOOP AND PLAYDOUGH
All children learn and explore using their 5 senses.
Touching, tasting, smelling, seeing and hearing. Essential areas to develop and explore.
The education and care for children is very important. To help them explore their senses by providing age appropriate activities for sensory play and learning. Which you can do at home with your child. Not only at Early Education Programs.
SENSORY PLAY AT THE CUBBYHOUSE
Some of the sensory play activities and resources we use at The Cubbyhouse Preschool include
- Light boards with coloured clear plastic tools and shapes, cellophane, oil bottles
- Making and playing with goop, slime, playdough and moon sand
- Adding tools (rolling pins, shape cutters), natural items (sticks, rocks, leaves), scents (lemon, strawberry, mint essence, coconut) and animals to sensory play experiences
- Water play
- Sandpit play
- Raw or cooked rice/ pasta/ spaghetti play
- Jelly activities
- Ice-cube activities
- Water beads
- Finger Painting
- Glitter bottles
- Tasting a variety of foods
- Smelly jars
- Exploring the garden and outdoor environments
- Audio games and stories
- Playing I Spy
Some benefits of using these resources and activities for sensory play include:
- Social development- Interacting with staff and peers, sitting down together completing sensory play activities
- Physical development – using Fine and Gross motor skills, hand-eye coordination,
- Concentration, attention skills
- Exploration skills
- Visual- perceptual skills
- Texture and consistency awareness
- Imaginative skills
Here are some links with recipes of sensory play experiences you can make with your children.